DOMSON ENG. SERVICES
Domson Engineering and Inspections LTD. is an industry leader when it comes to inspection, certification, and engineering services for the crane and lifting industry. They provide visual inspection, nondestructive testing and engineering support for construction, power generation, oil & gas, chemical, steel fabrication, and manufacturing industries.
Leveraging RAM's rope access technology and Domson's experience, RAM provides a save, efficient and affordable method of reaching challenging environments for testing such as:
Industrial Equipment & Structures
Tanks & Pressure Vessels
Bridges & Towers
Other Complex Steel & Concrete Structures
Whether you need crane inspection, general NDT, or engineering support for your projects, we can help.
Whether your project is a quick weld verification, or an in-depth verification of structural steel during fabrication or erection, we can help.
- Visually inspect product weld quality and overall workmanship
- Review drawings and specifications
- Develop or review welding procedures and verify adequate equipment
- Witness welder qualification testing
- Ensure qualified fabrication personnel are used and that fabrication procedures are followed correctly
- Verify material test reports and proper flow of materials
- Confirm that “as built” dimensions match drawings and document variances
- Examine bolting installation and perform torque testing
- Determine extent of nondestructive testing required
- Perform/oversee nondestructive testing and verify results
- Perform/oversee coating inspections and verify results
- Observe product shipping and receiving operations
- Conduct inspections both in the fabricator’s shop and at erection site
- Audit fabricator’s quality control department
The final inspection and test plan, as well as all test results, are reviewed by a professional engineer certified to CWB W178.2 Level 3 for Visual Inspection.
Magnetic Particle and Dye Penetrant
Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) is used to detect surface and near-to-surface discontinuities in ferromagnetic parts and welds. MPI is one of the most common NDT methods used in our industry.
Typical applications include:
- Mobile & Tower Cranes
- Steel Fabrication
- Storage Tanks, Pressure Vessels & Piping
- Plant Equipment
Dye or liquid penetrant testing (DPI or LPI) is used to inspect parts and welds for open to surface discontinuities. This method is often used to detect flaws that break to the surface, some of which can include:
- Fatigue cracks
- Quench cracks
- Grinding cracks
- Pin holes in welds
Ultrasonic Testing (UT) is performed by imparting sound waves into a component and interpreting the returned signals.
Our UT technicians can help you with:
- Thickness testing
- Corrosion mapping
- Lamination scans in rolled plates
- Straight beam inspection of castings and forgings
- Angle beam/shear wave weld inspection
- Inspection of tubes using an Internal Rotary Inspection System (IRIS)
With today’s emerging technologies, UT can often be a good replacement for radiography techniques.
Positive Material Identification
Positive Material Identification (PMI) is a nondestructive method used to identify metal alloys based on their chemical composition. If a material certificate is missing or if there is a suspicion about material composition, the use of PMI offers a solution.
PMI is often used to verify the composition of:
- Ferrous and non-ferrous metallic materials, stainless steels, Monels, Inconels, Hastelloys, Aluminum alloys, nickel-based alloys, and other exotic material.
- Materials used in piping, fittings, machined parts, castings, forgings, valves, bolts and stock item.
- Materials used on pressure vessels, plate material, and structural steel.
Domson uses a portable hand-held X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) device to scan materials and provide real-time, on-site results.